There is an epidemic of obesity in the US today. Consider the following:
- 1 in 3 Americans is overweight
- 1 in 5 or 129.6 million are obese
- 70% of Americans dieted in 2007
- 95% of all diets fail if exercise is not part of the program
- Yo-yo dieting leads to eating disorders and may be the single most common “cause” of disordered eating
- In a recent study, young girls were quoted as saying that they would prefer to have cancer, lose both their parents, or live through a nuclear holocaust than to be fat.
- 80% of girls in grades 3 to 6 displayed body image concerns and dissatisfaction with their appearance
- 81% of 10 year olds say they are afraid of being fat
- By the time girls reached the 8th grade, 50% of them had been on diets, putting them at risk for eating disorders and obesity.
- 25% of first graders admit to having been a diet.
In my practice, I often see patients that were overweight as children and experienced such self-hatred or shame that their eating disorder is a conscious attempt at avoiding that situation again.
For others, a family member, perhaps a father or mother or even a grandmother or an aunt with a weight problem triggers intense anxiety about weight gain.
If you are a loved one need treatment for obesity or an eating disorder in Cincinnati, I’m here to help! Schedule a consultation at 513-300-8043!
World Health – 1 in 3 Americans are Overweight or Obese (http://www.worldhealth.net/news/1_in_3_americans_are_overweight_or_obese/)
My Best Health Portal – Top 20 Reasons Why 95% of All Diets Fail (http://www.mybesthealthportal.net/features/featured-articles/top-20-reasons-why-95-of-all-diets-fail.html)
Empowered Parents – The Skinny on Raising Daughters to Become Healthy Eaters (http://www.empoweredparents.com/pages/Article14.htm)
Empowered Parents – Childhood Fears Take New Form: Body Image Concerns In Young Children (http://www.empoweredparents.com/1childhoodonset/childhood_01.htm)
Empowered Parents – Obesity, Overweight and their Connection to Eating Disorders (http://www.empoweredparents.com/pages/Article7.htm)
Medical Advice Disclaimer: The information included on this site is for educational purposes only. It is not intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. The reader should always consult his or her healthcare provider to determine the appropriateness of the information for their own situation or if they have any questions regarding a medical condition or treatment plan. Reading the information on this website does not create a physician-patient relationship.
© 2010, Dr J Renae Norton. This information is intellectual property of Dr J Renae Norton. Reproduction and distribution for educational purposes is permissible.
Please credit ‘© 2010, Dr J Renae Norton. http://edpro.wpengine.com’