Collagen combined with real vitamin C in a drink that is so delicious it will make you purr with gratitude. That’s a good deal!
I am always looking for ways to get people on board with the use of collagen. This is especially true when it comes to my patients as I encourage them to drink it every day as a part of their recovery. There are lots of good ones out there and you can totally just mix them with water, but why would you do that when you can make them taste like a milkshake?
More on that in a minute, but first, let’s take a look at what collagen is and why it is so good for you.
First, what is collagen? Only the most abundant protein in your body. It is also the major component making up our connective tissue (the stuff that lets us move). Finally, it makes up nearly a quarter of our total body mass. In other words, we need collagen to have glowing skin, well-developed muscle, flexible tendons, healthy joints, and strong bones. When we don’t produce enough collagen, we age poorly, have thin hair, dry skin, arthritic joints, weak tendons and breakable bones. That’s not good.
Benefits of Collagen:
- Current research suggests that collagen helps with leaky gut syndrome a condition in which toxins and particles pass from the digestive tract into the bloodstream. Since they are not supposed to be there, they trigger inflammation, often throughout the body. Leaky gut also causes bloating, miserable for anyone, this is especially uncomfortable for someone suffering from body dysmorphia. Collagen not only reduces the inflammation, it also cements the gut back together (similar to bone broth click here) which strengthens the barrier between the digestive tract and the blood stream, reducing bloating, leaky gut and general inflammation.
- Collagen decreases joint pain. I can attest to this one firsthand; if I do not drink collagen my joints ache, if I do, they don’t. Simple as that.
- Have I mentioned that it supports glowing skin and reduces wrinkles? Talk about reversing the aging process. I don’t care how old you are, you are going to like this benefit. The only thing that competes with it is Resveratrol.
- Collagen also strengthens bones. I am convinced that the reason my total knee replacement surgery went so well, and the healing seemed so accelerated is because of the collagen that I drink every day. I have been told several times in my life that I have unusually strong bones. Thank you, collagen.
- Collagen reduces hunger. Maybe it is because it has all of the amino acids or maybe because it is made up primarily of protein. Whatever it is, it really helps to prevent bingeing and late-night snacking. I always suggest to my patients who are tempted to binge at night that they try using collagen powder in a smoothie in the evening. It seems to really help. It also helps you sleep better.
- It may prevent osteoporosis. I have found that my patients with severe anorexia who often suffer from osteopenia (which can end up being osteoporosis) can reverse the osteopenia and prevent the progression to osteoporosis, if they drink collagen daily.
My Scrumptious Recipe:
Not only does this taste divine, it is loaded with vitamin C. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that boosts the immune system, reduces oxidative stress, and may play a role in collagen synthesis, iron absorption, heart health, memory, and cognition. More importantly, this is vitamin C from Kakadu Plum the most potent source of vitamin C in the world.
Learn More About the Benefits Of Vitamin C:
* National Library of Medicine: Effects of vitamin C supplementation on blood pressure: a meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials
* National Library of Medicine: Antioxidant vitamins intake and the risk of coronary heart disease: meta-analysis of cohort studies
* National Library of Medicine: Plasma Vitamin C Concentrations and Cognitive Function: A Cross-Sectional Study
*National Library of Medicine: The Roles of Vitamin C in Skin Health
* National Library of Medicine: The Role of Physiological Vitamin C Concentrations on Key Functions of Neutrophils Isolated from Healthy Individuals
1 scoop 100% grass-fed collagen powder
1 tsp. Kakadu Plum Powder (= 389 grams of vitamin C)
1/2 cup 100% grass-fed Organic Valley Half and Half or Raw 100% grass-fed Whole Milk
½ cup crushed ice
1 tsp. green leaf stevia
1 tsp. dried Manuka honey pellets
Pumpkin Pie Spice to taste
Put all ingredients into a Mini-Cuisinart and blend until foamy. Enjoy!
Does someone you love suffer from an eating disorder?
Dr. Renae Norton specializes in the treatment of eating disorders. Located in Cincinnati, Ohio. Call 513-205-6543 to schedule an appointment or fill out our online contact form for someone to call you to discuss your concerns. Tele-therapy sessions available. Individual and family sessions also available.
Follow us on social media:
Use the website search function to search the blog for past articles.
View the archive of past Newsletters
Copyright The Norton Center – All rights reserved
Materials contained on this site are made available solely for educational purposes and as part of an effort to raise general awareness of the psychological treatments available to individuals with health issues. These materials are not intended to be, and are not a substitute for, direct professional medical or psychological care based on your individual condition and circumstances. Dr. J. Renae Norton does not diagnose or treat medical conditions. While this site may contain descriptions of pharmacological, psychiatric and psychological treatments, such descriptions and any related materials should not be used to diagnose or treat a mental health problem without consulting a qualified mental health care provider. You are advised to consult your medical health provider about your personal questions or concerns.