Ah, finally the time of the year where the prickle of pines and jingle of bells (along with many other signs) signals the that Christmas is coming and the New Year is coming.
There are several things that we need to think about to get us through the holiday season in one piece and to start the new year. One is clean eating so let’s start with that.
What do I mean when I say “Clean” food? I mean 100% grass-fed beef, pastured/organic poultry, wild-caught low-mercury sustainably caught fish, non-GMO organic produce, and organic processed foods with no carcinogens, addictants, allergens, or inflammatory ingredients.
Since I started eating clean and supplementing, I have eliminated the following symptoms or conditions: dementia, dry eye syndrome, Hypothyroidism, high cholesterol, high blood sugars/insulin, knee and joint pain, and sleep disturbances. I have also radically improved my hair, skin, and teeth. Many of my patients have gotten similar results.
From diabetes to MS, from anorexia to obesity, clean eating works to bring about recovery in ways that will surprise you. It is a bit more expensive to eat clean food and to use well-researched supplements, but it is a lot less expensive than the medications and surgeries, or procedures needed to treat conditions caused by polluted foods. It also has the added advantage of actually working.
Clean eating also dramatically changes the quality of your life. How can we put a value on that?
Before the lockdown of Spring 2020 I hadn’t done yard work in years because I believed that I wasn’t able to do it anymore. The last time I had tried, which was about 10 years prior, I simply couldn’t manage it without causing excruciating pain. Couldn’t bend over, couldn’t stoop down, couldn’t carry anything heavy……. And if I pushed through it and did it anyway, I would injure myself. It was miserable. I was 60-ish at the time.
So, for about 10 years I was forced to hire people to do my yard work since I couldn’t do it myself. Or so I thought!
In the spring of 2020, with COVID 19, I was sheltering in place like everyone else. Since I was not allowing anyone to come to the house, and my yard was getting out of control, I decided to give it a shot again myself. You cannot imagine how thrilled I was to discover that the things I could not do ten years ago were now pretty easy. The only explanation is that I have applied what I have learned about clean foods and clean supplements to my own health and it is working!
Well that is apparently all behind me now! I dug up 20 or so bushes and perennials and transplanted them and although I was a little bit sore the next day, it was not a big deal. I got so excited that I decided to re-pave part of my patio so that I would have room for another piece of patio furniture.
This involved hauling dirt from one side of the yard to the other, removing pavers, building up the ground using odds and ends from the shed (heavy odds and ends.) Since I could not go to Home Depot and buy what I needed I had to be creative. I got the ground built up then put the pavers back on top of the newly built-up ground. I gave myself an extra 2 feet so there is plenty of room for the chair.
Ten years prior I simply couldn’t have done it. I remember how painful it was to admit that I had to give up gardening and yard work. It was a big deal…. The point is that I owe the new-found strength to clean eating and clean supplements.
While this is my experience with clean eating, the average American is clueless when it comes to eating healthy foods. Even those of us who would be considered healthy eaters. What most people do not know is that much of the American diet is loaded with addictants that drive obesity and its life-threatening complications. The lack of information, along with the misinformation put out by the industry giants that profit from the sale of polluted foods and diet products have created a health care crisis in this country that is unprecedented in the world.The U.S. is the most obese country in the world with the highest rate of mortality (compared to all other wealthy nations) and the highest health care costs compared to 48 other countries except for Switzerland. We also have the most obese children and we are one of the only countries in the world that sees Type II Diabetes in young children. (Type II Diabetes is the result of unhealthy eating and usually occurs in midlife.) Unfortunately, most overweight Americans tend to blame themselves for their weight problems, instead of looking at the quality, or in my mind, the safety of the food. So, they try to eat less by “dieting”, which is not only ineffective, it is also dangerous. It turns out, that dieting is fattening. That’s right, people who diet continuously usually end up gaining more weight than they lost. So it doesn’t work.
The sources of food pollution that are the cause of these health discrepancies are:
- Genetically engineered (GE) proteins
- Artificial sweeteners
- Synthetically created chemical pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers
- Hyper-hybridized (HH) grains
- Ingredients that have been irradiated
- MSG (Processed Free Glutamate)
- GE Antibiotics
- Artificial growth hormones
- High fructose corn syrup
- Processed and GE Sugar – made from Genetically Engineered (GE) Beets
- Food Additives – Flavorings, Emulsifiers, Preservatives, Artificial dyes (made from coal tar and petrochemicals)
- Sewage sludge
In my practice I have found that teaching people how to eat clean does several things that significantly increases the likelihood of success:
- It takes the blame off the individual
- It allows them to begin to experience the healing quality of food
- Clean food extinguishes their food addictions
- They discover how incredibly delicious clean food can be
Most of my patients find that they can eat significantly more clean food without weight gain, than the polluted counterpart.
Now the question is, “How do I eat clean over the holidays? “
Here are a couple of simple tricks:
1. Pull a Scarlett O’Hara if you know you’re going someplace where there won’t be anything healthy to eat. In other words, eat before you go. And just sip on Pellegrino and focus on seeing old friends and sharing memories.
2. Take your own food. Seriously, I drag my favorite things with me to every party I go to and it works except that I’m lucky if I actually get to eat all of it because my friends like it so much.
3. Be prepared. Plan ahead, make your favorite stuff before you get too busy. For me it’s the coleslaw, the pickled beets, the hard-boiled eggs, and soup where I used leftover turkey, or ham.
4. If all else fails, and you still end up eating crap you don’t really want to eat, let it go. Compensate by getting more exercise during the holidays especially on the days that you are off. What a great time to have a really good work out, do some stretching, take a sauna…
Does someone you love suffer from an eating disorder?
Dr. Renae Norton specializes in the treatment of eating disorders. Located in Cincinnati, Ohio. Call 513-205-6543 to schedule an appointment or fill out our online contact form for someone to call you to discuss your concerns. Tele-therapy sessions available. Individual and family sessions also available.
Follow us on social media: